Wednesday, August 6, 2008

900 Miles on the Okie Trail : Travel Day 1

 I am currently writing from a hotel room in the small town of Sullivan, Missouri. It is about an hour west of St. Louis. We have almost exactly 5 hours of drive time left until we get to Tulsa so I am very happy about that. 

My day started with a frantic hour of last minute packing for the trip. After having a breakdown with my sister as we said our goodbyes, I grabbed a drink at Sbux ( an iced caramel macchiato to be exact... just in case you were curious) and we hit the road. It was a pretty easy drive, but it got long. I've never driven further than 3 hours at a time and today was more than double that so it took a toll on me. Destiny kept me company for the majority of the day and we had the iPod so it was fairly smooth sailing. 

As far as the sights out west go there's not much. Just a lot of green flatness. We did get to see Indianapolis and the massive Colts arena which was awesome. We also saw a humongous cross, fighter jets doing flight formations over head and the famous St. louis arch. I've seen this all on previous trips, but it is still a cool experience. After fighting through St. Louis traffic we decided to find a hotel. We werent thinking about the fact that Six Flags St Louis was in its busy season and all rooms within 20 some exits were booked solid. That brings us to now. Were in a very nice Baymont inn and we are that much closer to our future.

I'll have another more detailed blog soon talking about the overall experience of packing up an moving out to school. I'll also be putting one up tomorrow night after we're settled in in Tulsa about tomorrow's trip.

Thanks for reading and next time you hear from me I'll be an Okie! (not really... I hate that word... I'm a Pittsburgher ... I just live  in Tulsa for a while)

No comments: